UK Foreign Secretary: Trump Has A Point, U.S. Can’t Account For 70% Of NATO Spending

The United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson spoke about Donald Trump’s criticisms of NATO at an event at the Chatham House Royal Institute For International Affairs in London and largely agreed with President-Elect Trump’s criticism of NATO.

Johnson said, “President-elect Donald Trump has a point. It cannot be justified that one NATO ally, America, accounts for about 70% of the alliance’s defense spending, while the other 27 counties manage only 30% between them. I want every member of NATO to agree to meet the agreed target of spending 2% of GDP on defense, and 20% of defense spending on new equipment. Britain already abides by this target, and I not that NATO’s most exposed members, including Estonia and Poland, do as well.”

Comments